Friday, June 15, 2012

The Theme From...

...Dallas! Oh yeah. J.R.'s back. And thank God he brought the theme song with him. I totally admit to watching the new version of the Ewing drama and also to now being hooked. So naturally after a two hour viewing last night, this is what I woke up to. All I really remember about the original show was the opening song anyway, seeing as how I was like 2 and not really into the primetime-soap-drama (much to my father's surprise when he asked why I never watched the original with them...uhm, I was like kinda more into the Muppets at that time, Pops?) Nope, I don't know who shot J.R. nor do I much care, but I'm glad all these actors who are returning for the new generation are A) still alive, and B) unemployed and in need of a gig so badly that they're willing to play the exact same roles they did 30 years ago and be known for nothing else.

What I do know is this: the new opening has been a bit spiffed up, including the musical arrangement itself (what, no video-game-esque slap bass in the background anymore?) but it's still Jerrold Immel's original tune set to alternating scenes of shiny downtown Dallas (which also looks a bit spiffed up) and pastures of roaming cows (which really don't look any different than the cows from 1978, despite the HD.) Apparently Jerry was kind of the golden boy of theme songs in the 70s and 80s. Knots Landing, Walker Texas Ranger, Gunsmoke, Hawaii Five-0...clearly a man of pure musical genius. We should all be grateful his talents have survived the test of time. Even if half the cast of the original show hasn't. Ha! Get it?! Cause they're dead. Yeah. Well, welcome back Patrick Duffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment