Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hello? This Is Your Mother.

So I had to dig a little bit to remember what this song was when I heard it on a Samsung commercial a few weeks ago. It took me back to a very specific time and place (in a car with two dudes I used to sing in a band with driving aimlessly around Boston...or maybe we had an aim...whatever) but I had no idea who it was. It was driving me mad so I put on my Super Librarian cape (and mad skills) and BAM! found it. Laurie Anderson's O Superman. Constructed as a cover of the aria "Ô Souverain, ô Juge, ô Père" (O Sovereign, O Judge, O Father) from Jules Massenet's 1885 opera Le Cid and originally a part of this extremely prolific performance artist's oeuvre which
explored the proliferating critical discourse of the 1970s--the semiological and structuralist theories that formed the basis of Minimal and Conceptual Art. ~ Contemporary Artists , October 1, 2001 Updated: July 30, 2007
and is now being used to hock cell phones. Hooray for capitalism! Anyway, the video is a bit long and honestly more than a tad boring, but it's ART people, so get over it. And if you don't have that relentless chorus of "ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha" stuck in your head the rest of the day then you should win a prize. Too bad I'm all out of prizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment