Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Emblem of Suff'ring and Shame

My Pops is to blame for this one. He's taken it upon himself (half jokingly, three-quarters in all seriousness) to teach Bug hymns. According to Pops "somebody's got to be responsible for his spiritual upbringing and you're not doing such a hot job." Well, no real argument from me on that one, but a daily hymn lesson seems a bit extreme. And I can be plenty spiritual without "praising him" or making a joyful (and loud and slightly flat) noise. Although if I were singing it, it wouldn't be flat. Take that, Pops!

Anyway, The Old Rugged Cross. I didn't even know I knew this song, but somehow I do. I think they sang it in my grandmother's church many moons ago when I was a tot and forced to sit still through Sunday services. But I found this Johnny Cash rendition (hey, J.C. and J.C.!) and it's not so bad. Much better than having Pop's version (with backup by Bug) stuck in my head. Maybe if all hymns were sung by the Man in Black, I wouldn't mind this new daily activity so much. Maybe Pops can practice his J.C. imitation. That's Johnny Cash, not Jesus Christ...super star. Whatever. Just enjoy this pleasant melody and this creepy video.

And also, Praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment