Monday, July 30, 2012

You're So Fine You Blow My Mind

OK, so truth be told this is not the song that I woke up with this morning. The real earworm of the day was Who Will Buy? from the musical Oliver! I have no idea why it was there or from whence it came, but the sad fact for most of the folks who read this is that you all hate on the show tunes and the big dance numbers, so anything clever I had to say about this song/show would just go right over all your hateful heads. So I'm going with the runner up that I heard on the radio earlier, Toni Basil's 1982 hit (were there any others?) Hey Mickey. You guys win.

So, here's what's kind of ironical about all this though (yes I know 'ironical' is not a word,) and maybe even a little freaky-deaky. Here goes: The Monkees Davy Jones (R.I.P. we love you!) was the original Artful Dodger in the Broadway production of Oliver! (he was even nominated for a Tony at the ripe old age of 16,) and Toni Basil renamed her song Mickey (it was originally about Kitty...a girl...raise eyebrows here) after "becoming fond of" Micky Dolenz on the set of Head where she worked as a choreographer (because she too had a history of  show tunes and jazz hands.) Also, someone just asked me if I could find them some books and videos about cheerleading. I sh** you not. I have no idea what is going on right now. My universe just shrank and the only things here are the Monkees, Toni Basil and some ill-fitting cheerleader uniforms! Help!


So this is the video I remember from when I was like 6 or so, but if you feel like wasting another 5 minutes of your life, there's another one with her and her band that is equally (if not more so) bizarre. Toni's still a cheerleaper, but I'm not sure what the other costumes are supposed to be (take note of the drummer's hat and the guitarists torso cape.) And I'm definitely not convinced they're playing their instruments. But Toni's high kicks are solid in both vids so take your pic and cheer on!

Why didn't my junior high cheerleading shoes have those fun pom-poms on them?

No comments:

Post a Comment