Thursday, July 26, 2012

Don't Need Money, Don't Take Fame

Apparently I'm going through an 80's New Wave-ish phase. BUT, Did you know that Huey Lewis scored a perfect 800 on the math section of the SAT? And that he stowed away on a plane to Europe to backpack for a year with no money and only a harmonica? That he busked his way through Spain to earn enough for his ticket home? Or that he was studying to be an engineer at Cornell?!?

Anatomical references aside, I feel decidedly less uncomfortable about my rekindled (27 years later) love for H.L. and The News. And just admit it, when The Power of Love comes on, you are instantly transported to you favorite Back to the Future scene (H.L.'s cameo in the audition scene for the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, "Sorry fellas...I'm afraid you're just too darn loud") and you sing along. We all know you do. It's fine, I'm not here to judge. How can I when I do the exact same thing myself? I'm even toying with the idea of buying a synthesizer so I can totally rock these four chords in my basement. I don't have a basement. Anyway, let's just embrace "the power" and move on. And if you can't handle the cheese factor of Doc and Marty and Biff, then go watch American Psycho and maybe you'll feel a little better. Personally, I've always been a fan of the cheese. 


Pump that fist, Huey.

No comments:

Post a Comment