Monday, August 13, 2012

Crazy 'Bout Elvis

Who doesn't love Tom Petty? And if there are people out there who don't love Tom Petty, what on earth is wrong with them? Idiots. That's what. So many great songs, but it's Free Fallin (co-written with fellow Wilbury, Jeff Lynne) that's stuck in my head today. Once when I was in high school (or maybe it was junior high?) I saw the Heartbreakers play at the pyramid in Memphis with all my girlfriends. We heard he was staying at the Peabody (you know, the one with the ducks?) so we went and camped out in the lobby hoping to catch a glimpse. All of the sudden he emerged! He walked right past our table and (I SWEAR) he said "Evenin', ladies" as he strutted on by (wearing his signature shades, of course.) Naturally this caused a lot of giddy, girlie, squealy things to happen, and then he was gone. That was it. My brush with greatness. Sigh... And to this day that was the best damn rock show I've ever seen. Hands down, no argument about it. Sorry Bruce, but it's true.


I have to say though, this isn't one of the videos that I really remember from Petty's catalog of cool videos. He appears to be floating a lot in this one. Not sure if that was an artistic choice or not, but I guess it works. Makes me want to hang out at the mall. Remember when that was where all us cool kids hung out? Do kids still do that? Who am I kidding, I've always hated the mall. I was just trying to fit in.

Anyway, factoid of the day: Tom's middle name is Earl. That's all.

3 comments:

  1. I'm readin' your blog today, obvs. Anyways, I was in stupid-ass Houston, TX last weekend (don't ask) and this song came on the radio in my buddy's car right after ELO's Don't Bring Me Down and I commented that it was kind of an indirect Jeff Lynne rock block since he co-wrote and produced Free Fallin'. Said buddy procedes to tell me that his wife "hates Tom Petty." WHAT?! She's literally the first person I've ever met with an active anti-Petty stance. Nice enough girl, otherwise, but jeez. Since Fiona and I were guests in their home, I didn't take issue with her for fear of making a scene. So there ya go. There's one person who doesn't like TP and she's in Houston, TX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is obviously an insane person. And probably addicted to drugs. And she lives in Texas, so...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, why just read the blog today? Why not multiple readings every day! We thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete