Tuesday, January 15, 2013

You Make Me Testify

So I know that haters gonna hate and that I'm gonna get made fun of for this one in certain social circles, but let's just get something clear. If there is a dude, let's call him an artist, who performs music that makes people jump around and smile, and who performs with a backing band that busts out choreographed (and very well-synchronized) dance moves WHILE playing horns and guitars, and if that music has a good beat and I can dance to it, then I'm gonna be into it people. That's just the way I roll. None of you would argue with me if this was a post about James Flippin' Brown! But it isn't...

Bruno Mars, folks. That's what I'm into today. The only thing I really can't take about this guy is his ridiculously over sized fedora. (I mean, seriously guy, you are small and your head is largish. Big hats should not be a wardrobe staple. Just rock that fro, yo!) But his talent, I am digging. And for a little dude, he's got a fair amount of it. And even though Locked Out of Heaven is, like, way up there on the charts these days, I really had no idea who he was until I happened to see this little ditty on SNL a couple months ago. And this is where he got me. Bands that dance and play at the same time (and manage to sound decent on SNL) are guaranteed to entertain (me.) I can't vouch for any more of his music, maybe it's all total crap, but this song makes me want to get off the couch...to go pour another glass of wine! And on the way back to the couch I bust out some wicked dance moves of my own...without spilling the wine! I'm not necessarily lacking in talent myself, you know.

Anyway, here's a fun fact for today: B.M. (hee hee, B.M...) a.k.a, Peter Gene Hernandez, is the son of a hula dancer and a percussionist. Also, among other instruments, he plays the congas. Yep.


And apparently he got his nickname because his Old Man thought he looked like this guy. Maybe his dad needed glasses?

4 comments:

  1. And for the record, I never said he was a good lyricist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, those "oh yeah yeah"-s get all up in the brain and stay there! I've never listened to him, but I like that he's obviously having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely (read, never) say this, but I actually think I prefer the SNL live version, cuz really it's his band that I'm hot for. Bouncing while tromboning is a unique and formidable skill. Yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And for once I had this post up before the cast of Glee did their version. I'm so on trend!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdAPzJ8Mhsw

    So love that the best female vocalist on the show now is a dude.

    ReplyDelete