Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I Betcha Five Dollars He'll Kill You Dead

Happy New Year, ladies and gents! Let's ring in 2013 with a fresh little earworm from the Dixie Cups. Who are the Dixie Cups? Well, we'll get into that a bit later. First, the song. Iko Iko is in my brain because of a very music-driven movie I recently watched, and I woke up singing what I thought were the words this morning, only to find out that (shocker) I was wrong. But what is really more interesting than the fact that as per usual I am singing incorrect lyrics, is the fact that I had no idea this is a Mardi Gras parade song. And here I thought I new about all things Mardi Gras! Once again (shocker,) wrong. Supposedly it's about two Mardi Gras Indian tribes having a confrontation about who's flag should fly and who's should burn. The song doesn't mention this, but I'm pretty sure the resolution was something like, "Ah, screw it. Let's just get drunk and eat some crawfish. Ca c'est bon, cher!" I could insert some pretty embarrassing pre-Bug pics here of me and Hubby, in full Mardi Gras (throw me somethin' mister!) regalia, but I'll spare you. And you're welcome. Just beware of catching a chicken foot at your next Mardi Gras celebration. Trust me, it's gross. Now the sparkly purple thong on the other hand...

Anyway, as we dig a little deeper, (sorry, I'm feeling a bit librarian-ish today...occupational hazard I suppose) the story gets even more interesting (to me, anyway.) The Dixie Cups were originally from the Calliope housing project in New Orleans and grew up singing this song because they heard it from their grandmother. Not realizing the origin of the song or even it's meaning, it was just something they knew and sang as a matter of habit. Once in a New York studio they were clowning around and started singing it while tapping out the rhythm with drumsticks on ashtrays. Little did they know, the tapes were recording. Later session producers went back and added drums and bass, and, PRESTO, a song that so easily gets stuck in your head it's ridiculous!

So L'aissez les bons temps roulez! And in case you were wondering, Fat Tuesday falls on February 12 this year. Get your beads out.



1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna need to see these Mardi Gras pics! Great song + video. I once dreamt that I had a baby boy and named him Iko James. FREE baby name right there, if anybody needs it. :)

    ReplyDelete